Have I ever told you how much I love a good breakfast? No? Well here I am telling you right now. A great breakfast starts the day off on the right foot and I’m a massive fan of a big fry up in the mornings. Obviously this whole working for a living thing gets in the way of doing this during the week. But what if I told you there was a way to have a cooked breakfast on the table within 5 minutes? Well, I’m afraid to tell you there is no such thing… I mean really, who is awake enough in the morning to be focused on getting things done quickly? Especially if you haven’t even had a coffee. It’s just crazy talk. BUT this is pretty quick to make, depending on your level of awakeness (totally a word…) 6 minutes should be enough for most. It’s also rather unfortunate that drinking beer in the morning is frowned upon. I think a nice cold refreshing ale would go perfectly with this meal… but coffee works too, or if you’re one of those crazy “I don’t drink coffee” people, then tea will work as a last resort! It’s OK, we still like you, you’re just a little stranger than most.
Stop reading and start cooking! Actually, read a little more so you know what you’re doing… I’m about to go back to the coffee shop and complain that my coffee wasn’t strong enough because this is the shortest ramble ever…
- 1 tablespoon butter
- olive oil
- 2 eggs at room temperature (take them out the night before if you leave them in the fridge!)
- 1/2 avocado (full one if you are extra hungry), sliced
- 1/2 tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1 small handful of coriander (cilantro for you fancy people)
- 1/2 lime
- 1 really good drizzle of Mexican hot sauce (or Tabasco) – I used the Tapatio – Salsa Picante because it rocks my world
- salt & pepper
- 1 slice of toasted sourdough or crusty bread
- 1 large mug of coffee extra strong
- Place a frying pan (big enough for two eggs to fit) over a medium high heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt. If need be, add a little oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Crack your eggs (crack them on a flat surface, apparently this stops you getting shell in your eggs) and place them in the frying pan, allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until the whites are cooked but the yolk is still runny.
- While your eggs are cooking, combine the diced tomato, onion and coriander into a bowl, add some salt and a good squeeze of lime. Season with salt and pepper then mix and set aside.
- Once your eggs are cooked, simply spoon on the tomato salsa, add the avocado and cover with lashings of Mexican hot sauce. Combine this with a nice piece of crispy toast and you will be ready for the day… oh don’t forget to drink your coffee.