Damn, that midweek meal. Who has time to cook amazingly delicious meals during the week? Especially during Winter! I mean really, it’s been 12 hours since you left the house, you just spent the last hour sitting in peak hour traffic with people who can’t drive, you come home and you just want to sit down, put your feet up, have a nice cold beer and say hello to your loved ones (as a rule the beer is always first) or is that just me? Perhaps I’ve had enough of winter and I’m longing for the summer days? (Highly unusual as I prefer the cold!). Maybe I’m just missing the summer foods, simple, fresh, fast and full of flavor! Go on name a comfort food that you can knock up in 15 minutes… yeah that’s right there isn’t one… (That one you just thought of doesn’t count…)
I had a light bulb moment the other day, I was walking through the local super market and it hit me… Steak Fajitas is totally doable in winter! Sure I might have paid a little more for capsicum then if I had of bought them two months ago, but I’m not complaining. This meal gave me a small glimmer of hope for the future winters to come and revitalised me for the remainder of the week (especially the next day when I had left overs for lunch… nothing makes a day at work better than a good lunch!)
Ok, yes I know steak fajitas are nothing new, BUT since everyone has their own way of doing things I’m going to ramble on about my way… and yes there is nothing wrong with a good quality store bought tortilla during the week… but if you use them on weekends… tisk tisk…
I’m all out of ideas for awesome mid week meals (like this one) so tell me what you like to eat in the middle of the week…. pretty please? I’m desperate.
- 8 tortillas
- olive oil
- 2 large steak rumps (best quality you can afford)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (less for those who don't like it hot)
- zest from one lime (reserve the lime to juice over fajita before eating)
- 1 purple onion, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced (ok ok it doesn't have to be red)
- coriander (fresh or dried)
- mexican hot sauce to serve
- Pat dry the steak with some paper towel, lightly coat with oil, add the spices and give a nice gentle massage. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle pan (standard frying pan also works) over a medium high heat.
- Combine the onion and capsicum into a bowl, add a touch of salt and a splash of oil. Mix well.
- Once your frying pan has come up to heat add the steak and cook for 3-4 minutes each side for medium rare (time depends on the thickness of the steak)
- Once cooked to your liking, remove the steak and set aside to rest.
- Return the frying pan to the heat, add the onion and capsicum mix and cook for 4-5 minutes until cooked (with some nice gnarly charred bits)
- Heat your tortillas in the microwave (or in the frying pan… this will add to the time it takes to get this meal on the table!)
- Assemble in any order you like! I normally put onions and capsicums first, then the steak, topped with coriander, lime juice and a really healthy drizzle of Mexican hot sauce.
- Devour and be satisfied… then use the excuse that you cooked so you don’t have to do the dishes… put your feet up and relax. You deserve it.