Can you smell that? Change is in the air. I’ve finally done it, after 7 years of working the same job, I’ve decided to move on to new challenges. I will of course miss the amazing group of people I’ve worked with over the years, but that right there is an excuse to catch up for a beer or three. I’m super excited for this new chapter, the people are great and it’s a little more connected to food, but most importantly it is going to give me my life back. I’ll no longer be leaving for work at ridiculous o’clock and I’ll be home in time to cook tea! Of course the best news is that I will be able to spend some quality time with my girlfriend and the little fluff ball that still insists digging in my grass is a good idea… Bring it on.
Sometimes a celebration is in order and this my friends, is one of those times. Now it’s a well known fact that nine times out of ten I’d rather have another beer then look at the dessert menu. But sometimes, just sometimes I like to enjoy a little something with my mid-morning coffee. Now, I’ve attempted to make sweets in the past with little to no success… I don’t know what it is, maybe it’s the fact that you have to be so precise with measurements, or perhaps it’s the fact I just don’t enjoy it as much as roasting a giant leg of lamb? What ever it is, I tend to stick to the simpler forgiving dessert options when I attempt to make something and this simple coconut banana bread recipe is very forgiving… If I can do it, anyone can…
Now I’m making no attempt to make a sugar-free ‘healthy’ banana bread here. This one has plenty of good old fashion sugar… after all everything in moderation is fine! However, for those of you who are looking for a healthy alternative, I would suggest you head over to Chomp Chomp and check out her Paleo Coconut Flour Banana Bread it looks amazing and has none of the naughty stuff mine has. Regardless of which one you make, sit down with a coffee and celebrate all the good things in life.
- 300g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 70g Brown Sugar
- 70g Coconut Sugar
- 125ml Butter Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 50g Melted Butter
- 3 Large Over Ripe Bananas
- 1 handful Shredded Coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 180’c.
- Grease and line a bread tin with baking paper.
- Combine the self-raising flour, ground cinnamon, sugars (if you can’t find coconut sugar just used 140g brown sugar) into a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl add the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter and then mix well.
- Mush the bananas and add to the buttermilk mixture. Mix well then sprinkle through some shredded coconut.
- Combine the banana mixture with the dry ingredients and gently fold to combine.
- Pour into lined bread tin and top with the remaining shredded coconut.
- Cook at 180’c for about 35-40 minutes until the skewer comes out clean.
- Make that coffee and enjoy! (Toast the next day for even more awesomeness)