Get your party hats on folks, it’s almost Christmas again! I feel like it was only last week we were celebrating the festive holiday, but alas, a year has passed and what a year it has been! New house, puppy, new job, guest posts, plenty of food, far too many (is there such a thing?) cookbooks added to the collection, burnt hands, cut fingers its all been happening. As you have also probably noticed the blog has had a little make over. It’s amazing what a trim and a few weeks at the gym can do for the look of the blog. As great as the new blog looks, it wasn’t all fun and games. There were many late nights and a few d’oh moments… The biggest being when I deleted my old site with all the subscribers! (dumb I know, don’t rub it in… I’m claiming temporary insanity). Some awesome dude at WordPress managed to get you all back, however now that I’m self hosting (I feel all grown up!) those with your own WordPress site will only see my posts in the reader, you wont be emailed when there is a new post. Although, there is a solution, head down to the bottom left corner and throw in your email address, that way
I can spam the hell out of you my ramblings will be delivered to your door (ok ok inbox… door sounded better). Happy days… speaking of rambling, I’m going to stop that and get on with this awesomeness that is a Mango Glazed Christmas Ham.. yes that’s right, mango and ham together…
For me, ham and the jolly old man (AKA Santa) go hand in hand. I rarely (if ever) have not had a toasted ham something (sometimes its a sandwich other times its a croissant) on Christmas morning… Truth be told, I could have a toasted ham sandwich any day of the week for breakfast lunch and tea… but I digress. This toasted ham deliciousness is kinda like a tradition, sure you can buy legs of ham anytime of the year…but really does anyone actually do it? It just wouldn’t be Christmas without it, but that’s just me. Do yourself a favour and make this delicious Mango Glazed Christmas Ham and you will be the talk of the table this year. The combined sweetness of the mango and the slight saltiness of the ham gives you a mouthful of yum.
- 1 smallish leg ham
- 1 large mango, diced (pick one that you are tempted to eat... just don't eat it)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 table spoon apple cider vinegar
- In a frying pan over medium heat, combine the mango and onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until it is just beginning to soften.
- Once soft, add the sugar and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. The onions should start to caramelise.
- Once the onions are caramelised, add the apple cider vinegar and cook until it has reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pre heat the oven to 180'c
- Once cooled, use a stick blender and blitz it until it's smooth.
- Remove the skin from the ham (leave the fat on), then score a diamond into the fat.
- Coat with the mango glaze, then place on a wire rack over a roasting pan filled half way with water.
- Place in the oven and base every 10 minutes.
- Cook for 40 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.
- Dig in and be amazed