I’ve got Mexican food on the brain and nothing screams Mexican in your face like Tacos wrapped in a home made corn tortilla. The hardest part about making corn tortillas at home will be finding the Masa Harina… but thanks to the dude who invented the internet you can just order it online and get it delivered to your door. Unless you live somewhere other than Perth… in which case it is probably really easy to find… Masa also comes in a few different colours, so freak your guests out by making some blue corn tortillas!
To make life easier there are a few bits of equipment that will help, these being an electric mixer (equipped with dough hook) and a tortilla press. Of course you can knead these by hand and roll using a rolling pin… but you may be there a while!
30 minTotal Time
- 2 cups of Masa Harina
- 1 good pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot water (not boiling)
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Use a dough hook on your mixer and mix for about 3-5 minutes until the dough is smooth and you can easily form a ball with your hands. You may need to add more water if mixture is still dry, if the mixture is too wet add a little more Masa.
- Form little balls of dough (to the size of ping pong balls)
- Line your tortilla press with glad wrap.
- Place a frying pan over a medium high heat (do not add oil)
- Place the Masa ball in the middle of the press and press down to form your tortilla.
- Peel the tortilla off the plastic and place into the frying pan cooking for 1-2 minutes each side. They should start to brown and be dry to touch
- Place into a tortilla warmer and leave in a very low oven. This will make them soft and pliable, if you leave this step out your tortilla's may crack when you fold them
- Repeat over and over again.