So it’s Sunday… well it’s Sunday while I’m writing this, which means it’s probably not Sunday while you’re sitting there reading this. In fact, it is probably a weekday, you’ve just arrived at work, made yourself a coffee and thought to yourself there’s no chance in hell I’m starting work until
I’ve finished this coffee, what should I do? The answer of course is to continue to sip your coffee and look busy by reading this post, simple huh?
Today is the 5th of July, given I live in the future, my Instagram feed and Facebook page are filled with the 4th of July celebrational foods. I’m seeing hotdogs, ribs, burgers, pulled pork, slow cooked smokey briskets and boy is it making me hungry! I recently purchased a beautiful brisket from the new local butcher that just opened up around the corner (is it sad that a butcher opening close by is exciting? yeah I didn’t think so). Sadly, I do not own one of those kick arse smokers that they use to create those super delicious looking briskets (I’m open to any investor wanting to invest in the fact I’ll never have this problem again because they just bought me one… just saying). So I’ll settle for second best… Inspired from the recent Mexican fiesta and the dish Jemima made I decided a super simple Chilli Con Carne… with brisket… none of this mince business (sorry mince lovers!).
Being a Sunday means I’m feeling particularly lazy and can’t be arsed spending all day in the kitchen. What could be easier than throwing a few ingredients into a pot and placing it gently over some hot coals? Oh wait I forgot, I live in suburbia and my back yard isn’t suited to open fires… (again open to an investor buying me a farm…I’ll throw you a home grown carrot from time to time) so I guess the oven will do the trick… Obviously it means the pictures won’t be as awesome as the time I did a guest post for Laura’s Mess while she was off traveling the world… but I’m sure you will all live. I have no idea what I was getting at with all this talk, I’m sure by now you’ll be onto your second coffee and just about ready to start work so I’ll get on with the recipe. As I said, this recipe was inspired by Jemima, who’s recipe was inspired by my mate Jamie Oliver (I can now claim we are mates because I met him once).
With out further ado here it is. You’re welcome.
- 500g brisket
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 jalapeños, roughly copped
- 3 chipotle chilies
- 500ml coffee (if you use instant we are not friends, Beer is also an acceptable substitute)
- 2 400g tins of tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 400g tin of mixed beans
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 large capsicum roughly chopped
- sourcream for serving
- coriander roughly chopped to make it look extra good
- Pre heat your oven to 130'c
- In an oven proof pot (Cast iron is awesome) add a good drizzle of olive oil, place on the stove over a medium heat.
- Add onions, cumin, paprika, oregano, cinnamon sticks, good pinch of salt and pepper then stir well. Cook over a gentle heat until the onions soften.
- Meanwhile brew your coffee and let the chipotle chillies soak in the coffee until the onions are done.
- Once the onions are soft, add the garlic, jalapeños, Chipotle, coffee, tomatoes and sugar and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, place in the oven and let this bad boy cook away for 4-5 hours.
- 30 minutes before you want to eat, place back on the stove, add the beans, lime juice and capsicums. Simmer for 30 minutes then serve with some baked spuds, rice or anything you like. Add plenty of sour cream and if you're feeling adventures add some guacamole.
Keep on scrolling down and tell me what goes in your Chilli Con Carne!